The Labrador retriever is the kind of dog which likes to be around family, they are good dogs and love to be around children. Here are some advices on how to properly take care of your retriever.
1. This breed reached the mature age harder than other breeds. While the normal breed reaches adulthood at the age of two the Labrador retriever reached this stage at the age of three.
2. Be careful on the amount the food it eats, being overweight is not a good thing for the dog. You need to keep it on a diet so as to prevent any heart or arthritis issues.
3. You should bathe your Labrador only if it starts to smell. It does not need any special bathing conditions you can do it in the comfort of your home.
4. Search the internet about what health problems this dog may have. The most common problems that they have are: eye problems, hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia.
5. The coat must be brushed once a week to prevent heavy shedding.
6. You should start training them from an early age because they can be stubborn. During the training you must be patient and consistent in order to have the result you want.
7. Make sure you trim the dogs nails every month in order to prevent foot infections.
8. They can leave indoors and outdoors but they prefer to live in a house. They are active so they need a yard where they can play and consume their energy.
9. They can live between 10 and 12 years if they are properly taken care of.
Now, here are some tips and warnings regarding the Labrador retriever:
1. Unlike other dogs the Labrador retriever likes to swim so make sure you always have a towel at hand so you can dry them.
2. They need between 30 to 60 minutes of exercise so make sure that you always have somebody at home who is willing to play with it.
3. Labrador puppies are very active, some even call them hyperactive. The main reasons why people give them up is because of this and because they get bigger that people expect them too.
It is a wonderful dog which is both intelligent and loving. If you have children they will certainly love it because it is good with them and like to play. They do not need much grooming so you do not have to worry about that.
Labrador retriever Pictures Gallery