The Cocker Spaniel is a dog which can be satisfied to living in an apartment but at some point it will need a back yard to play and exercise in. They need exercise every day in order to keep healthy both physically and mentally. They are great around children and pets but they do need to be house trained because they tend to bark a lot.
Here are a few steps on how to take care of your Cocker Spaniel:
1. You should only feed your Cocker Spaniel with high quality food if you want your pet to develop health problems, make sure that meat is the main ingredient. The percentage that should be found in your dogs every day meal is the usual: 4 % fiber, 30 % raw protein and 20 % raw fat.
2. After you have bought this dog the first thing you should do is take it to the vet to have all its needed shots done. Make sure you take it regularly to the vet and do not forget to do its yearly booster shots. Ask your vet what flea products are best for your dog and about worming.
3. Make sure you walk your dog daily and avoid bushes so that the coat does not get tangled.
4. They have a tendency to be shy in they do not socialize with children or other pets from a very early age.
5. You should have her trained until it gets house broken. For the moments when you cannot supervise your puppy buy a crate where you can put it in. It has to be small enough to be able to sleep in and turn around because if it is larger it can pee in it. Every time your puppy eats take it outside to go to the bathroom, every time it finishes praise her.
6. Make sure you brush the coat every day and shampoo it whenever you notice it is dirty. They do not shed much, they are average shedders. If you decide to keep the fur long it must be trimmed once every four months.
7. Clean the dog’s eyes regularly to prevent infections. You can do that by taking two cotton pads and moist them into some worm water. Be careful not to use the same pad on both eyes because this way you can spread infections and you do not want to harm your dog.
Cocker Spaniel Pictures Gallery